Hello everyone! Sorry I missed posting last week. I honestly didn’t even realize it before it was too late.
So, there have been many changes since I last updated (shocking, I know). I had someone read the first Act and they pointed out how the plot is too complicated. Act 1 should be set up. It shouldn’t confuse the reader or be overly dramatic. The tension is supposed to grow throughout the narrative. So I took some time to repurpose Act 1 and have been making changes accordingly. This will be the last major revision I make to Act 1 this draft. I really need to move with the rest of the story. My goal is to have all (or at least 80%) of Draft 3 done by the end of August. Honestly…I don’t know how that is going to happen, but I will do my best.
The constant revisions to my story have been frustrating, if not unexpected. I always knew Draft 3 was going to be difficult. As I said when I started this whole process, I want Draft 3 to be the last MAJOR draft. I don’t want to make any major changes or revisions to the plot moving forward. So it is better now that I make all of these changes, then later on.
Of course, that’s not to say that things won’t change slightly when I start Draft 4. I will be sending Draft 3 to beta readers when I am done and their feedback will help shape how I go about Draft 4. But I do not see me having to re-outline the whole story again. That is why I am putting so much work into this draft now.
Ideally, I would like to have my novel DONE by this time next year, that way I can start querying agents. But right now, my albatross is Draft 3, and I need to get as much of it done this summer as I can. To help motivate me, I have joined several critique groups on Scribophile. These groups post chapters every week, which means I have to have something to show. I can’t slack off.
I hope you are making progress on your writing projects. I may throw a party when I finish Act 1. Seriously, I feel like I have been here forever.
Until next time, kill your darlings, slay your dragons, and keep writing.